Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Whew...made my first move

Yippee for me!!! I made a couple of first moves today towards the goal of going after the fabulous life I want. The first, I finally told my love about my blogging initiative. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but believe me....it was a major step for me. At first, I wasn't going to tell him because I happen to be a very private person, so it's a scary thing to have my thoughts out there for the world to see. I didn't want to tell him because I was afraid he would tell other people, who would in turn tell other people, and thereby leaving me vulnerable for criticism. But in challenging myself, I figured it was probably best for me to start telling people because what good is a blog, if there's no one around to read it. It's like the old adage, "if a tree falls in the woods with no one around to see or hear it, did it really fall?" I think it goes something like that, but whatever. My point is the whole point of me taking on this initiative of blogging is to challenge myself to take my life to the next level. In order to do that, I'm going to have to open my self up, take on new adventures, and be fine with criticism. So, I told him, and suprisingly, he didn't make me feel ridiculous. As a matter of fact, he had very little to say about it, which is somewhat curious, but atleast he didn't make me feel stupid for doing it. I also told my friend Nimms about it. I'll be sending her the link soon, so I'm looking forward to hearing her feelings about it.
Also, I reached out to someone who I feel is on the move and setting herself up to be the next IT person in the plus size fashion industry today. I had contacted her a couple of months ago when I was getting the prototype to my magazine together for an interview, and she said she would be wiling to have me interview her. The truth is there are lots of young people who are interested in starting their own clothing line, so I figured she would be a great person to feature. Although I'm holding off on that prototype for now, I still would like to interview her. I figure this site would be a good place to start to feature people who are doing their thang, that way, if and when I ever do get ready for that magazine, I would already have something to work with. She's actually based here in NJ, about 10 minutes away from me. To say I'm in aw of her would be an understatement. She's 27 years old, started her company less than a year ago, and already she's been featured in over 20 magazines, been featured on BET, etc. She's just amazing from what I can tell. She's supposed to be having a fashion show on Friday, which I hope to attend, if she grants me the interview. I'm looking forward to getting a positive response back from her. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bola, what's up? Great posting. It seems we all have the itch for more. A lot of us were made to believe that going to school would mean wealth and prestige. Our parents who sometimes had not gone to college or were the first in their generation to go to college felt like this was a guaranteed path to success. It worked out for them, and especially being black, they may have benefitted from affirmative action. These days school is about paying back massive loans and with compensation that is not commensurate. So for those of us who have always had drive and thought we were making the best decision to become successful, we've just got to start over and reapply our drive and determination towards owning our own, making our own successful instead of hoping for job security with someone else. The only problem is this time around our parents aren't paying for our room and board, we've got bills out the a$$ and mouths to feed. This makes succeeding a bit harder but it can be done, we've got a find a way to do it. By the way, I thought you were going to do event planning. A magazine is slightly more involved. You sure you don't want to master one goal before moving on to the next?