Tuesday, November 14, 2006

YOU CANT JUST DO NOTHING

Welcome to my very first blog. I have to admit that if one had said to me even 1 week ago, that I'd be one of the countless number of people on the internet who are blogging, I'd say you were lying. But you know what, you can't just do nothing. In life, you either play the game, or you lose by defaut. It doesn't matter the reasons for you not being able to play. You can make all the excuses, but the sad truth is...you lose. So here's the story, a couple of months ago, my future sister in law, Cassandra, and I decided we were going to start a magazine. The magazine was meant to be a guide for people who are trying to make it in any and all professions to get an inside look into the what it takes to make it.The magazine would highlight different professions and showcase people in that profession who are on the cusp of making it. The reason this magazine would be unique would be because the people who are highlight would be able to break it down step by step for our readers what's needed. So many times, we ask people who've made it what they did to get where they are, and their answers are usually something generic like "just keep trying" or "just keep praying". That's cool and all, but it doesn't really say much, especially if you've been trying and been praying. Our magazine was going to be something really helpful to the people. So, right away, I got going. I registered the business, started putting a business plan together, and set up meetings with people to advise us in the process of starting a magaine. From our meetings, I realized that we were going to end up needing a lot more money than we had at the moment, so once again, I decided to perhaps just forget about the magazine for now, and try to put some money together. The problem with this is that since I got out of college (5 years AGO!!!), there's always been one reason or the other why I'm not able to pursue a particular business or project I was thinking about. I think this happens to most people. You wanna do something big, you have it all planned out in your mind, but for some reason, you just can't bring yourself to do it. But on this fateful day, as usual, bored with work, I was online just looking up poeple who are going after their dreams regardless of the obstacles. These people are not any smarter than you and I. The only difference is they know, you can't just do nothing, because then automatically you lose. So they go for it, some of them soar, some of them fall and then get back up and try again, but all of them try. So that's my new motto. I'm going to start going for it, whatever it is, and sit by the sidelines no more!!! Since I don't have the money yet to put out my magazine, I'm going to start working on it in whatever capacity I can, and start out with a web magazine. I know it's going to be hard, and the truth is the odds are against me, but what if I do make it. Then life as I know it will change for the better. Moral of the story, go for it, and just don't do nothing. Do something and even if you fail, then atleast you tried.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bola,
When I posted my comments yesterday I had not realized that you had made previous posts. The link you sent me directed me to a page that only had two postings. My last statement in the comment yesterday is null since you have explained to us, your audience, your goals. Still though, since you mentioned that money has always been an issue, isn't that still going to be an issue or have figured out a way to tackle that obstacle. Come on girl, let us in.