Thursday, November 16, 2006

Ask, and you shall receive

“Ask and you shall receive. Seek and you shall find. Knock and the door shall be opened unto you.” This is sooooo true, not only with regards to God, but also when it comes to asking people for things. Am I the only one who's ever talked herself out of asking someone for something because of the fear of rejection or the fact that the person may think I was ridiculous for even asking? I know a lot of people can feel me on that on. But rest assured that the old me has been stiffled and replaced with a fearless Bola who's in search of a fabulous life, and quite frankly will not let anything get in her way of finding it. The reality is the only way to get what you want is first by asking for it, no matter what that thing is. So, as you know I asked a fashion designer for an interview yesterday and the opportunity for me to attend her upcoming fashion show in order to cover it. I'm not the NY times, the Post Gazatte, nor Essence magazine, so what would she have to gain by granting me an interview? Nothing. Despite this fact, I reached out to her, and she not only granted me the interview, but in a timely manner!!!! I emailed her at about 3PM yesterday, and a response was in my inbox by 8am this morning. How cool is that!!!

So the show is tomorrow in the city. I'm kinda nervous about it, but I've heard people say nervous energy is good energy, so I'm not worried. I've never conducted an interview before, I've never covered an event before, and I've never been to a real fashion show before, but whatever. The real question is what to wear, what to wear, what to wear??!?!?! I have to try to look professional, but stylish. I know for a fact that I don't have anything like that in my closet, so I may have to hit the mall later on today. Well, off to get ready for the show and interview. I'll let you all know about it when I get back from the show tomorrow. Ta-taa!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bola!

Nimma here! I have to get a google acount first...?

Anyway

Congrats on getting your first gig with the interview and everything! And I completely understand your dilemna - what to wear!!!! That is the most important factor to consider as you conduct your first interview, attend your first fashion show etc. Don't worry though, just be yourself and don't try anything new - stick to something that works. Suggestions on questions to ask - How long she's been in the business, what did she do before that and how she broke into the industry, what are the rewards, what are the challenges, what should we be looking out for in the future with regards to her fashion line, and what she has to say to other upcoming self-starters out there! So there, that's covered, but we still don't know what we're wearing.....