Sunday, November 19, 2006

Always have spare batteries

A round of applause for me please in congratulating myself for my first gig. "YEEEEEEEEE" Thank you, thank you, thank you. Of course, I'm talking about the MonifC fashion show "Curvy Girls Night Out" in NYC this past Friday. So how was it? FA-BU-LOUS!!! Our night out on the town, the weather, the show...oh...couldn't have asked for more. Here's a brief background on MonifC before I jump into how it went down on Friday, and why my new motto to life now is "always have spare batteries."


All in the Family
Monif Clarke is the "unapologetic" one-half of the designer team of the high fashion, plus size women's clothing line, MonifC. The other half being her mother, Elaine Clarke. Monif C. was "conceived to reaffirm every woman's desire for an inspired life, luxury, and unadulterated sex appeal".
A love of color, prints, and vintage details has been a part of Monif's life from childhood. A child of Barbadian immigrants, Monif spent many summers enjoying the sweet life in Barbados. While there, she was awed by her grandmother's love of color (red is her favorite!) and she was transported to a time when women dressed up for every occasion recognizing that taking pride in their appearance is one of the best things they could do for themselves.
Today as a plus size woman, Monif understands the need for a new perspective in the plus size market. "It took me many years to appreciate my curves and recognize them as a plus and NOT a minus. I know that there are women like me who recognize that we get dressed everyday in the hopes of reflecting creatively what we bring to the world. I was tired of buying the standard uniform that every woman has, I needed luxurious feminine clothes that make a statement...Who says plus size can't be sexy, luxurious, and feminine??"
Monif C . offers a fresh and unique interpretation of well-priced style for plus size women. Monif C. is fabulous fun in luxurious fabrics, delicate trims, and details often developed from original artwork. When you wear Monif C., you reclaim your femininity and your strong sense of self.

My Girls Night Out

I was looking forward to this fashion show since Monif contacted me letting me know she added my name to the Press list. I was actually considering going out to get a new outfit to wear, but at the last minute decided against it. So, after I got off work, like the serious editor I am, I packed all my editorial equipments...a camcorder, a camera, notepad, pen, and the questions I was planning on asking (compiled with the help of my friend, Nimma). So, Nimma and I got there, and of course, some drama started to unfold as I got off the train that threatened my prescence at the show, but I strategically made some moves to avoid it. On to the show. Nimma and I were ready. She was going to take the still shots with the digital camera, and I was going to be on the camcorder. The show started a 1hour late, but when when it finally started, we were ready. I jumped off out of my seat and in position to capture all the riveting moments of the show. Next thing I know, the scene is blank. Can't you believe the batteries to the camcorder DIED. My heart sank for a moment, but I took comfort in the fact that Nimma still had the digital camera and we were still going to be able to capture some footage. I went back to my seat, got the camera from Nimms, and 3 shots later, my screen went blank again. The batteries ran out on the digital camera. Not only was I upset now, but I felt completely ridiculous. How could I have not have brought extra batteries? Well, with nothing else to caption the moment, I decided it was best for me to enjoy the show and learn a lesson from this situation...never leave home with spare batteries again. The show was flawless, the models were "fierce", and the clothes were a hit. Nimma and I ended up leaving early, but it was a memorable night. I try to get some pictures from Monif's website when they come out and post them for you all to see. Take a lesson from my mistake, and make sure to always have backup anything. Good night.

No comments: